Excerpts from Coelho’s (1988) The Alchemist:
- “Learn to recognize omens, and follow them” (52)
- “You must always know what it is that you want…” (68)
- “I learned that the world has a soul, and that whoever understands that soul can also understand the language of things” (101)
- “Because I don’t live in either my past or my future. I’m interested only in the present. If you can concentrate always on the present, you’ll be a happy man” (103)
- “Everyone on earth has a treasure that awaits him” (157)
- “Every search begins with beginner’s luck. And every search ends with the victor’s being severely tested.” (158)
- “When you possess great treasures within you, and try to tell others of them, seldom are you believed.” (159)
- “Your eyes show the strength of your soul” (162)
- “What good is money to you if you’re going to die?” (193)
- “It’s true; life really is generous to those who pursue their Personal Legend…” (198)
I lost count of how many times I’ve read this book – it or essences of it appear in my life from time to time and I don’t question its appearance. The last memory I had of its unexpected appearance was my first day of work at my last Korean teaching stint in 2012/2013 – a copy of the book was on the shelf in the office I shared – an omen to say that I needed to be there at that time.
And now, I am where I need to be here in 2015. In pursuit of my Personal Legend.